Around Our League Last Weekend

Basingstoke Town once again took the trip back up into London, this time to take on lowly Tooting & Mitcham Utd, and in another game where Stoke spurned early chances, we finally took the lead through a Stefan Brown thunderbolt off the underside of the bar and into the net on seventeen minutes. More chances fell by the wayside as Stoke went into the break with the lead. Despite the home-side coming back into the game in the second-half, the defence was not breached and it was Stoke who deservedly left with all three points.

With Bracknell idle this weekend it gave Chertsey the chance to not only try and close the points gap, but to also strengthen their second place which they did, beating Uxbridge on the road with a 3-1 victory. A first-half strike by Magnus Abisogun was all that split the two teams, until Abisogun added his second with eight minutes remaining, before he got his hat-trick from the penalty spot, before a late injury-time goal for Uxbridge by Prince Ogunmekan left the final score with Chertsey now sit four points above third-placed Hanwell Town who yesterday afternoon went on the plane and road beating Guernsey 4-1, although falling behind early on they rebounded and took the lead behind two first-half goals from Harry Rush. The Geordies secured the points with two late goals by Ogo Obi & Thomas Siemienczuk.

The Hanwell result thus pushed both Basingstoke down into fifth place, whilst Bedfont Sports dropped to fourth on goal difference, despite an impressive four-one thrashing of Marlow at the Recreation Ground. Sports took an early commanding lead through a brace by Darryl Sanders, before goals by Daniel Williams & Connagh Wilks gave them a four goal halftime lead. Marlow did get on the scoresheet just past the hour via a Kameron English finish. Marlow slip to seventh, seven points behind the playoff places. However, a pitiful 102 fans bothered to turn-up for such a bug game. The top of the league table looks like this.

    P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Bracknell Town 29 26 1 2 71 10 +61 79
2 Chertsey Town 29 18 7 4 60 35 +25 61
3 Hanwell Town4-1 29 17 6 6 69 30 +39 57
4 Bedfont Sports 29 17 6 6 68 36 +32 57
5 Basingstoke Town 28 17 6 5 53 36 +17 57
6 Uxbridge 29 16 7 6 54 34 +20 55
7 Marlow 28 15 5 8 44 32 +12 50


Binfield who sit in eight won for the third consecutive game, this time on 1-0 on the road at Thatcham Town, as a James Beauchamp goal (his fourth in three games), just before halftime was enough to secure all three points. South Park won for the second week in a row, as they beat Northwood 3-1 with all four goals coming in the first half at Whitehall Lane. Chipstead sit in tenth after beating Westfield three-nil at home, with all three goals coming in the first-half. Westfield remain in a worrying 15tth place, just one point above the relegation places. The remaining game in the league was another relegation battle with Sutton Common Rovers in 17th beating 18th placed Chalfont St Peter 4-2.  Three goals for the Rovers inside the first half-hour looked to put the game out of reach, despite Chalfont pulling one goal back just before the break. Tristan Cover added Rovers fourth, before a quick reply just before the hour by Exauce Ditu, was all the scoring on the day, which now leaves Sutton Common Rovers in the final relegation place, but behind Tooting & Mitcham Utd on goal difference only, whilst putting a dagger in the heart of St Peter as they are now a full six points from a safety place.

Attendances – This week’s highest attendance was 749 as Guernsey hosted Hanwell Town. With some very poor attendances across other games, the lowest was Sutton Common Rovers 53 as they hosted Chalfont St Peter.

Reds – Just one red card this week which was Chalfont St Peter’s Micah Jackson.

Matches This Week – Just two matches this week, both on Tuesday evening Chalfont St Peter host Guernsey and Westfield host Binfield.