Match Report: Basingstoke Town 0 – 2 AFC Totton Saturday 18th January 2020

Bet Victor Division One South – Saturday 18th January 2020
Basingstoke Town 0 v 2 AFC Totton Attendance 267
Where: The Simplyhealth Stadium, Hillier Way, Winchester. S023 7SR

First-half missed chances and a questionable penalty decision sends us to another home defeat,
Manager Dan Brownlie’s starting line-up was; 1. Aaron Watkins, 2. Alfie Saunders, 3. Adam Everiss, 4. Ryan Suckling, 5. Dean Stow (Capt) 6. Josh Edwards, 7. Ben Cook, 8. Elliott Bolton, 9. Ben Wright, 10. Bradley Wilson, 11. D’Andre Brown.
On the bench: Riccardo Andrady, Aiden Harris, Jordan Edwards, Jordan Alves & Ben Dillon.

Stoke attacked the clubhouse end, with the low winter sun in the opposition keepers eyes and the first attack of note was on 5 minutes, when Ben Wright half-volleyed a pass to Bradley Wilson, who races down the left-hand side of the pitch, he then sends in a low-cross, which takes a clear deflection of his marker, but rolls across the face of the goal-mouth, as the keeper and D’Andre Brown, try and get a touch on it, but it rolls out for a corner, or so everyone behind the goal thinks, as both the referee and linesman think differently and award a goal-kick.

From the goal-kick, the Stags win a free-kick in our half of the pitch. The kick is swung into the far post, and what looks like a free-header beats Watkins at the near post and we fall behind 0-1.

It is also noted at this time, that the referee’s black kit looks very similar to AFC Totton’s kit which has black shorts, black shirt at the back, and the only difference being the front which has dull yellow look and the shorts which has a small yellow stripe down it. The referee is made aware of it by fans around the ground, but he carries on regardless.

Back to the game and on 12 mins, we win a throw-in down by the away dugout. The throw goes inside, and bounces to Dean Stow, who smashes a first-time volley from 30-yds, that has the keeper beaten, but clips the outside of the near post and goes out for a goal-kick.

On 15 minutes, it is Stoke on the attack, again, as the ball is crossed in by Alfie Saunders, it falls to Ben Wright, but his turn and shot is blocked, so he slides the ball out to Ben Cook, on the edge of the box. Cook takes a touch, finds a gap and shoots across the goal, but the keeper dives and gets a slight touch to it and sends it out for a corner. The corner is comfortably cleared.

On 20 mins we create another chance as a low-cross from the left wing is met by the keeper who dives on the ball at Bradley Wilson’s feet.

Another attack on 25 mins, as another Saunders cross to the far post, his headed back by Wilson and Ryan Sucking hooks a shot over his shoulder, but flies 3yds over the bar and out for a goal-kick.

On 29 mins, we lose the ball in midfield, and Totton break and a Totton forward sends in a low hard shot that Watkins, saves low down at the near post.

We then win a free-kick about 35yds out down the left-hand side. It’s Wright who takes it, but although it’s beats the wall, it’s not hit with enough power, and it comfortably bounces into the keepers hands.

It’s at this time , the referee who now been told numerous times of his similar-looking kit, walks over to the visitors dugout and books their Manager.

Then on 36 mins, the referee awards a penalty as the Stags break into our box and a tackle is adjudged to have been a foul. Not one Totton player has claimed a penalty. The ball is put away and we trail 0-2 to the visitors.
Then on 40mins, following a Stoke attack, the keeper who has been wasting a lot of time, then gets booked for abusing the linesman.

Then as we move into injury-time, a nice move by Dean Stow who slides the ball to Saunders, who cuts in on his left and sends a cross into the 6-yard area, which is met by Wilson, but his header although on target, is easily saved by the keeper.
Halftime and we trail by two goals.

The game gets back underway and on 48mins, we attack down the right, and Brown, wins a corner. The cross is initially cleared back to Saunders, who sends in a low cross, that falls to a Stoke forward just four yards out, but somehow his shot hits the keeper and bounces away, and a Stoke player can’t get a touch on it. The linesman then awards an offside, for the ensuing bit of play in the box.

The next 5-10 mins there is little goal-mouth by either side, and it’s time for our first change as Ryan Suckling who is far from happy with being substituted, is replaced by Ben Dillon.
On the hour, we attack again, and the ball is slotted through to Brown, who takes two touches as he enters the left-hand side of the box, then hits a left-footed shot that flies a yard wide of the near post.

On 62 mins, another nice move is stopped when a pass to Dillon is a touch too hard and the keeper is able to get to the ball first.

On 64mins, Brown is replaced by Jordan Edwards.

A minute later, the Stags break and a low shot is saved by Watkins in goal.

We are still the team on the attack, but Totton’s defence is comfortably holding us.
Then with 20 minutes to go Edwards slides a lovely nice pass to Wilson, who breaks away, but his touch lets him down and the ball rolls comfortably to the outcoming keeper.

On 74 mins, a nice move down the right, between Saunders and Wilson who finds Wright 10yds out and his first time shot flies way over the bar.

On 79 mins and Edwards is trying to create something in midfield, gets the ball stuck in a mud-patch in the middle of the field.
We make our third change as Ben Cook, is replaced by Riccardo Andrady (82mins).

Totton, then have another attack of note, but a clearance by Josh Edwards clears the dangerous cross to midfield.

The game is drifting away as we enter added time, and despite all the effort, we can’t find a goal, and the referee calls time on another home loss.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 0 v 2 AFC Totton

Back on the road next Saturday, and another difficult trip to Cinderford Town, who have just walloped promotion chasers Evesham four nothing on the road!!

Today’s Golden Goal winner was Geoff Warmington with 6 minutes.

Match Report by Martin French..