Match Report: Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Farnborough Saturday 1st January 2019

Evo-Stick South Premier Division South Saturday 1st January 2019
Basingstoke Town 1 – 1  Farnborough     Attendance 478

I‘m sure I wasn’t the only who sat in the clubhouse or elsewhere with our head in our hands after the match, just wondering how we threw that game away today.

With expectations of new players in the squad via the academy and Burnham FC, Martin Kuhl went with the following line-up; In goal Colm McAdden, the back four of Dean Stow, Charlie Kennedy (Capt), Dan Baylis & Rob Gerrard. The midfield contained Sam Deadfield, Harry Pearse, Dan Collier & Drew Matthews, with Sam Smart up front with Sam Argent.

On the bench; Orvis, Aiden Harris, Zidan Akers, Oliver Harris & Alexander Shean.

On a warm dry January day Basingstoke attacked the clubhouse end in the first half.

In the 2nd minute we win a free-kick 25yds out down the left hand side. The swinging kick finds a Farnborough defender who comfortably heads clear and they break over the halfway line and travel untouched but the shot from 30yds is blocked by and then cleared by Kennedy.

On 7 minutes a neat curling cross by Stow to the far post is met by Deadfield, but he slightly mistimes his header and the header flies away from the goal.

On 9 mins they have what seems a free-header, but the ball is headed wide, it looks to be going out, but somehow it does not roll out, but we are fortunately first to the ball and we clear to the halfway-line.

Very little goalmouth action from minutes 10 -18 although we have the better possession.

On 22 mins and the first of many Rob Gerrard runs down the left wing, and he sends a lovely cross to the far post, where Deadfield meets it with well his head, but heads it straight into the ground and the ball bounces over the bar for a goal-kick.

On 24 mins and Pearse goes on a long run around two Farnborough midfielders and sends another deep cross that beats everyone and finds the Boro No.3, who can’t clear it and Stow picks up the loose ball and finds Smart down the right wing, he touches it inside to Deadfield who turns in a shot come cross that flies across the goalmouth and just needs a touch, but it flies out for another goal-kick.

On 27 mins the ball is put over the top for Smart to run onto down the left, he stops and cut inside on the edge of the penalty box and sends a curling shot that has the keeper beaten, but it just flies over the far post.

On 29 mins, Farnborough break and create a shooting chance from around 22yds but it’s poor and straight at McAdden.
On 31mins they again break down our left after we lose it just inside our own half, the ball is passed inside and a Boro forward turns and hits it but again the shot has no power and his easily dealt with by McAdden.

On 34 mins Gerrard goes on another run and sends in another good cross, but a good header by Boro defender heads it clear.

Then on 40mins Boro break down our right, the cross is put into to a wide open forward who heads it well but McAdden spreads himself well and the ball hits Colm’s leg and is cleared away.

On 43 mins we win a free-kick down the right about 28yds out. The cross to the back is met by Argent’s header that knocks it into the net. But before the ball gets to Sammie, the ref has clearly blown for a free-kick against us. That’s the last of the action as it’s goal-less at halftime.

With no changes at halftime we are first back on it on 47mins, as Deadfield is fed the ball from Smart down the right. He turns the defender and whips in a cross that flies 2yds out past the goalmouth and a yard past the far post. Again any sort of touch and we would be ahead.

Another attack on 50mins as Stow and Deadfield work a move that allows Stow to cross, but it’s easily met by the keeper in the air.

On 52 mins Farnborough win a free-kick about 30yds out from McAdden’s goal. The free-kick although reasonably well hit over the wall is comfortably held by Colm McAdden.

Then on 56 mins we win a free-kick 24yds out just to the left of the goal. Stow takes the kick, but’s it poor and hits the wall and bounces just wide of the wall, where he follows onto it and hits an absolute screamer into the top corner of the net with the keeper rooted to his feet. GOAL Basingstoke Town 1 – 0 Farnborough.

McAdden then makes another great save on 59 mins as he a Boro player runs a way from our defence and he shoots as he tries to take it around Colm, but he gets his hands to it and pushes it out for a corner. The corner is headed clear by Bayliss.

On 63 mins we win a free-kick as their No.6 goes in the book for a foul on Smart. Nothing occurs from the free-kick.

On 67 mins Argent has the chance to make it two, as he is put through but his clip over the keeper from 22yds is weak and is easily held by the keeper.

Very little action for the next 6 – 8 minutes, then whilst I’m down the sideline, the linesman makes two poor decisions in the space of a minute as first a defender falls into Argent and the ref blows for a Boro free-kick, then we have the ball back and Smart touches the ball to Stow, and he tries to turn and run down the wing and is literally yanked down in the front of the linesman who gives nothing.

Then on 78 mins we win a penalty after the Smart takes the ball just inside the penalty box down the left and the ref has pointed to the spot. Stow I am informed takes the spot kick and it flies high over the bar and another defining moment has passed.

On 81 mins Smart is replaced by Akers.

On 83 mins they break but a wild shot from 30yds out and flies 10yds wide.

On 85 mins we break as Pearse find Argent down the right who wins a corner. The corner is a short one which allows Deadfield a chance to shoot but it flies over the crossbar.

A cross by Farnborough winger on 87 mins beats everyone and goes out for a goal-kick.

The last few minutes of normal time we fail to hold onto the ball in their half.

We’re now heading into injury-time and again worrying signs, and Farnborough seem to be able to pick up all the loose balls and break untouched, but create nothing of note.

Then on 92 mins disaster strikes after they have a shot from 25yds out. McAdden dives to his right saves it but fails to hold onto it and pushes it straight back in front of him, and Perry Coles is first on it and puts it in the net. Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Farnborough.

The last two minutes of injury-time are played out and the referee blows the final whistle.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Farnborough  

Final thought’s – With today’s result we now slip down to 19th place and stay out of the relegation zone on goal-difference from Chesham Utd.

Really can’t say too much more at the moment and will take my time and reflect on this and will add my thought’s in tomorrow’s “Around the League” post.

Match Report by Martin French..