Match Report: Basingstoke Town 2-1 Hanwell Town Saturday 28th August 2021

Isthmian South Central Division – 28th August 2021
Basingstoke Town 2 v 1 Hanwell Town Attendance 335
Where: Winklebury Complex, Winklebury Way, Basingstoke. RG23 8BF
Stoke youngster Lloyd Snell slots home late winner to earn all three points

Enforced changes for Basingstoke Town today meant the line-up was: 1. Julian Schwarzer, 2. Daniel Williamson, 3. James Haworth, 4. D’Andre Brown, 5. Scott Armsworth, 6. Shaun Dallimore, 7. McKoy Palmer, 8. Ben Cook 9. Bradley Wilson, 10. Conor Lynch, 11. Simon Dunn (Capt),
On the bench: Adam Everiss, Lloyd Snell, Hugo Staunton, Aiden Lewis, Kial Mumford,
Referee – Luis Nunes

After an overcast Saturday morning, the sun came out for Basingstoke’s opening day home match against a competitive Hanwell Town, and there was little goal-mouth action early on. If anything it was the visiting who made the early running forcing Stoke to concede a few corners. These corner-kicks were swung dangerously into the six-yard box where a melee of players forced the referee to intervene from an overly aggressive Hanwell attack. Stoke are able to scramble the ball clear off the line from one corner, another sees Shaun Dallimore head clear.
On 14 mins it was Stoke who created their first real chance, as Conor Lynch broke down the right, cut inside on his left, then hit a left-footed shot that unfortunately flew over the bar.
Hanwell continued to press and another corner, saw their defender Calum Duffy head clear over the bar.

Then on 18 minutes, McKoy Palmer again breaks down the right, and after an initial cross is blocked sends over another cross that finds Conor Lynch who slots the ball back across the goal into the far corner of the net. GOAL ! Basingstoke 1 – 0 Hanwell Town (18 mins)

On 20 mins it is Shaun Dallimore who goes in the referee’s book.
The visitors still continue to press for the equaliser and a dangerous through ball finds their No.9 who turns just inside the box and fires a shot, that flies just past the Stoke far post.
On 33 mins we win a free-kick just outside the penalty area on the left, as Conor Lynch gets dragged down. The shot by Wilson unfortunately not only beats the wall but beats the far post and goes out for a goal-kick.

On 37 mins Hanwell’s right-back Daniel Carr has his latest attempt at the Stoke goal, but his well-hit shot is headed out for a corner. More pushing and shoving as Schwarzer is able to palm the ball away.
On 43 mins Stoke left-back James Haworth finds Bradley Wilson down the left wing with a neat pass, and Wilson is on super-mode and he turns his defender inside out and then cuts down the Geordies by-line, but his pass is put out for a corner. The corner however is headed clear.

Another shot from long distance sees Schwarzer make a good save who recovers the ball as he palms it away.
The referee plays a few minutes injury-time, before he blows the halftime whistle.
Halftime Basingstoke Town 1 – 0 Hanwell Town
The second-half gets back underway, and the visitors make their first change on 48 mins.
Further attacks by Hanwell Town continue to worry the Stoke fans watching, but a series of attacks are rebuffed by the Stoke back four and a good save by Schwarzer.

Then following good work by Conor Lynch and Dan Williams the cross is headed out for a Stoke corner. Hanwell clear and break down our right, but a good tackle by Armsworth wins the ball back.
Another Stoke attack down the left and the cross is headed over the bar by Conor Lynch.

Then on the hour, Hanwell equalise as it appears from a cross Schwarzer who catches the ball then loses it as he hits the post and it falls into the net. The goal is announced as Harry Dunn for Hanwell.

This seems to reset the Stoke attack, as Simon Dunn wins the ball in midfield and sends Palmer down the left, but his cross is headed clear.

It is D’Andre Brown who then wins the ball on the halfway-line and breaks forward 10 yards before neatly setting Wilson away down the left. Again Hanwell are able to clear.
On 70 mins after another attack by Hanwell, Brown heads clear, we attack again as Wilson neatly finds Palmer whose turn and left-footed shot, hits the keeper’s legs and the visitors clear once again.

Another Hanwell attack is repelled again by a Dallimore interception
On 75 mins, Stoke make their first change as Conor Lynch is replaced by Lloyd Snell.

Moving into the last 15 mins, it is Stoke who seem to be on top, and another cross from Wilson has the keeper dive on top of the ball before it reaches Snell.
Another break from Brown has a pass that Snell just can’t get to as the keeper gets to the ball first.
Then on 80 mins the visitors break down the right and the shot is initially pushed clear by Schwarzer, the rebound back to Hanwell allows a neat pass inside to another Hanwell attacker who sees his shot dragged wide of the far post.

On 81 mins we see our second booking as James Haworth gets a yellow card.
On 84 mins we win the ball down the right and a neat pass by Cook and Snell is initially cleared, away for a throw-in down by the right-hand corner flag. More neat work from Snell and his cross finds Palmer just outside the box, whose touch then thundering shot leaves the keeper motionless, as it thunders against the bar and away.
Another towering header clear by Dallimore averts any danger on the Stoke goal.

Then on 86 mins a through pass from Bradly Wilson finds Snell and this time he calmly goes around the Hanwell keeper and from an acute angle calmly slots the ball home. GOAL !! Basingstoke 2 – 1 Hanwell Town (86 mins)
This sends the Btg into rapture buoyed by the new drummer.

On 89 minutes Adam Everiss replaces McKoy Palmer.
Although Hanwell are not out of it, it is Stoke who continue to push forward.

On 93 mins we are holding the ball comfortably by the right-corner flag, until Snell slips the ball past one Hanwell defender, then does the same to another, before they clear the ball out for a throw-in.
The referee has seen enough and blows the final whistle on 94 mins.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 2 – 1 Hanwell Town
Lynch 18 mins                                     Rush 60 mins
Snell 86 mins

Match Thought’s
Another strong team performance against a Hanwell side who impressed many Stoke fans. More worrying injury-news around midfielder Lewis Hayden means D’Andre Brown and Lloyd Snell will see more playing time, but they continue to impress game-by-game.
Conor Lynch finds the net again and a superb finish by Snell sees the win move us upto 3rd place with two wins from two as we sit behind Uxbridge and Bedfont Sports.
Up Next:
We take the short trip to local rivals Thatcham Town on Bank Holiday Monday (30th August) before we host Bridgwater Utd back at Winklebury back in the FA Cup here next Saturday.

Match Report by Martin French..