Match Report: Chipstead 1 – 2 Basingstoke Town Saturday 5th February 2022

Isthmian South Central Division – 5th February 2022
Chipstead FC 1 v 2 Basingstoke Town Attendance 144
Where: NRT Stadium High Road Chipstead CR5 3SF
Wilson’s low shot grabs a worthy three points at Chipstead
With Anton Rodgers in for McKoy Palmer the only change as todays starting line-up was; 1. Paul Strudley, 2.Daniel Williamson, 3. Daryl Wollers, 4. Robert Sheridan, 5. Nathan Smart, 6. Anton Rodgers, 7. Simon Dunn (Capt), 8. Bradley Wilson, 9. Conor Lynch, 10. Stefan Brown, 11. Ben Cook,
On the bench: Brody Peart, D’Andre Brown, George Reid, Jack French & James Haworth
Referee – Morgan Conn

With the earlier midday sun now gone, the game got underway under grey skies with Stoke attacking the clubhouse end.
There was little action of note for the first few minutes, as both sets of players tried to come to terms with the uneven surface.
Ten minutes in and Stoke who are forcing the play, but the Chipstead defence are holding firm on the edge of their penalty area.

The first of many curious refereeing decisions today as a long kick that Stefan Brown and his marker challenge for as the ball enters the penalty area, is suddenly blown dead and the referee takes the ball back 60 yards into our own half and awards us a free-kick!
We then have two crosses from the right wing, one from Bradley Wilson, the second from Daniel Williamson, but neither can beat the first defender, but again the uneven surface are factors in the crosses.

Still very little in it, but Chipstead break down the right, but the ball is headed clear by Williamson, but Chipstead bring the ball back, put the ball back into our area which Smart clears but again Chipstead retrieve, and the referee gives the Chips a free-kick for an apparent foul about 30yds out directly in front of goal. Chipstead’s Teo Kurtaran hits a shot that not only curls but swerves at the same time and the ball finds the corner of the net with Strudley stranded and Stoke trail 1-0.

We win a corner on 27 minutes, but they clear the ball and break down the right wing and send a cross over that Smart is able to clear.
Again despite this we still have more of the ball, but a combination of the final pass and some more strange referring & linesman calls we are unable to penetrate their penalty area.
On 37 mins, we even get one strange call in our favour when Wilson falls over their No.8, who goes in the book. The free-kick falls to Wollers feet, but his connection sends the ball away from goal.
Then on 43 minutes a cross over to the far post evades the crowd, that falls to Stefan Brown slides the ball past the keeper from a tight angle and into the net. GOAL ! Chipstead 1 v 1 Basingstoke Town (S Brown 43 mins)

We win the ball from the free kick and the ball is slid to Williamson, who goes on one of his runs and as he enters the penalty area he is dragged down and calls for a penalty go up, but the referee is adamant the foul is outside the box. The many Stoke fans behind the goal are clearly unhappy with the decision who voice their complaints, but to no avail. The kick from Rodgers flies harmlessly over the bar.
A minute later the referee then blows for halftime, in a game that never got going with all the stoppages by the referee.

Halftime – Chipstead FC 1 v 1 Basingstoke Town
No changes at halftime, as the game restarts and the in the 47th minute it is Stoke who create a good chance down the left as Ben Cook finds Wilson w ho beats his man and then sends a low cross to an open Lynch, but he mis-times his shot and it hits his own leg and it rolls away.

We are straight back on it and a timely interception by Cook, who breaks slide the ball to Dunn, who slides the ball inside to Lynch, but it rolls to a defender who smashes a clearance and that hits his own defender and rolls out for a corner to us. The corner causes confusion in the goal as it drops between a number players but they hoof it clear, but Cook retrieves the ball and finds Wilson down the left who wins the call as the defender is able to slide the ball out for a corner. From the corner they break and Dunn goes in the book as he intentionally trips the Chipstead player breaking with the ball.

Stoke are now winning more possession in midfield, and attack but again the final ball is not falling to us at the moment.
We are now an hour into the match and another good Cook break finds the ball between Lynch and his defender who has to knock it out for a corner. The kick this time for Rodgers is a planned low pass to Wilson who breaks away from the six-yard box and receives the ball about 9 yds out, he turns and beats the defender on him and then hits a low shot the goes through the crowded goalmouth and into the net. GOAL !! Chipstead 1 v 2 Basingstoke Town (Wilson 61 mins)

Stoke to continue to press and win the ball in midfield through the work of Dunn & Cook, but again the Chipstead is able to hold us out.
We then make our first change of the day as, George Reid replaces Anton Rodgers (64 mins).
We then lose the ball in midfield and the Chips break, but a timely interception by Rob Sheridan puts a swift end to that attack.
On 69 mins we attack again, and Dunn finds Cook down the left, who stops and cuts in on his right, and slides the ball to Reid, whose right-foot shot flies wide of the far post.

Again it is Cook who wins a tackle and slides the ball to Lynch, who finds Brown, who neatly holds the ball then finds Cook again down the left, who slides the ball across the face of the goal, but a defender knocks it out for a corner, before it gets to Lynch. Nothing comes from the corner.

On 73 mins the Chips break but it is Smart this time who outsmarts the Chips forward and comes away with the ball.
The game continues to be mainly played in Chipstead’s half of the pitch as we move into the last 15 minutes of the game.

There is an incident by the Chipstead’s dugout as a substitution is made and the referee has booked either a player or one of the Chipstead assistants.
Two more timely interceptions by Wollers and Sheridan over the next few minutes, put a stop to anything from the homeside.
George Reid is now receiving treatment for what looks like his previous injury, but is able to continue.

Less than eight minutes to go, and we are still looking to attack, but a long downfield pass finds Smart go in the book for a challenge on his attacker.
Reid has gone down again, and this time he has to be replaced by D’Andre Brown (83 mins).

The minutes are drifting slowly as Chipstead look to put more pressure on us, but another timely sliding tackle down the right by Wollers puts the ball out for a throw-in.
A Chipstead cross from the right, is neatly caught by Paul Strudley in goal.
Just two minutes to go in normal time, and we look comfortable in defence, and another timely tackle by Wollers, who then sends Lynch away, but his defender is able to see the ball out for a goal-kick.

We make our final change on 90 minutes, as Bradley Wilson, is replaced by Brody Peart.
Then on 92 mins a ball over the Chipstead back four finds Lynch through on goal, but his shot hits the keepers boot as he comes out to meet him, and the ball rolls out for a corner.
We spend the next minute by the corner flag as we hit four minutes of extra -time.

Then on 94 minutes a long ball from Chipstead is retrieved by Strudley and the referee has seen enough and blows the final whistle and Stoke win their third game on the bounce.

Final Score: Chipstead FC 1 v 2 Basingstoke Town
                                                     S Brown 43 mins, Wilson 61 mins

Match Thought’s
A strange game that did not really flow with the uneven surface and some poor refereeing decisions, but we more than did enough to earn the points.
Rob Sheridan & Daryl Wollers were immense at the back, and Strudley claimed any crosses that came his way.
Goals by Stefan & Bradley are enough to keep us in the playoff places (5th), as we head back to Hampshire.
Up Next:
We host Ashford Town at Winklebury next Saturday in our next instalment of our playoff run.



  1. Sounds like ‘Stoke’s away support is turning each match into a home game! Was 144 their best gate of the season? Hope to get down to Winklebury for at least 1 game this season; my local team Belper Town FC also hanging on to 5th spot in their 8th tier NPL division; both teams deserve to be at least 1 tier higher especially with the support base.

  2. Hi Dave,
    Yes the support in numbers probably reached at least 50 fans today. The attendance of 144 was in fact their 3rd largest as they had 207 against local rivals South Park and 168 against nearby Tooting & Mitcham Utd. Both these games were their two previous home games, so maybe their attendances have picked up slightly.
    Yes our support has been consistent and we are at least one if not two levels below where we should be
    Probably our best defensive performance for some time.
    I will have to keep an eye on Belper Town.