Match Report: Hartley Wintney 0 – 2 Basingstoke Town Saturday 5th January 2019

Evo-Stick South Premier Division South Saturday 5th January 2019
Hartley Wintney 0 v 2 Basingstoke Town Attendance 451

Smart & Pearse thunderbolts sends Basingstoke home with all 3 points.

Martin Kuhl got the boost of ex-Stokie Aaron Redford back in the squad for today’s game and went with the following 4-3-3 line-up; In goal Colm McAdden, the back four of Dean Stow, Charlie Kennedy (Capt), Dan Baylis & Rob Gerrard. The midfield contained Sam Deadfield, Harry Pearse & Dan Collier with 3 upfront 0f Sam Smart, Sam Argent & Zidane Akers.

On the bench; Orvis, Matthews, Harris, Hollamby & Aaron Redford.

On a cold but dry January day Basingstoke attacked the closed end.
Hartley were to create the first attack on 2 mins as following a corner a free-header was well saved by Colm McAdden.
On 3 mins we have our first attack, as the ball is clipped over the back four for Akers to chase on to it, he is challenged by the advancing keeper and then send a shot past the keeper, but it’s comfortably saved by the defender who has got back on the goal-line.
On 5 mins following an attack by the hosts, we break again the shot by Akers is pushed clear by the keeper and the follow-up by Argent is also pushed wide by the keeper and then cleared upfield.
On 11 mins again we put Akers through he cuts inside as he enters the box, but his shot is not well hit and it’s straight at the keeper.
We’re back on it on 12 mins and a shot by Smart, again not fully hit was pushed away by the keeper.
On 14 mins Dean Stow feeds Smart inside the box, he has time to turn, but his cross is poor and doesn’t beat the first defender.
On 19 mins we again feed Smart down the left, but as he cuts inside his shot again is saved by the keeper.
On 26 mins we gain attack down the right, but he cross is deflected out for a corner. The Deadfield corner is headed out to Pearse 25 yds, who puts it on his right foot and send a decent shot 2yds over the bar.

On 29 mins Hartley break down the left, but a well-timed interception by Kennedy averts any danger.
On 31 mins we attack down the right, with Stow, his cross looks to find Argent, who is literally shoved off the ball, but the ref waives a way the penalty claim. Even Hartley fans near were dubious about the ref’s decision.

On 34 mins and Hartley have cause to complain, as a ball to Akers, virtually rolls up his arm, but the linesman 5yds away says play on and Akers then takes the ball inside, but his shot although well hit flies 5yds wide of the far post.
Hartley have a shot on 36 mins from 30yds, which is put 15yds over the bar and into the field behind.
Little action for the next few minutes, as passes by both teams go astray.
One noticeable issue is this continuous attempt to play it out from the back every time. Fans next to me state that the bouncy pitch does not allow for it, and also Hartley are closing us down quickly.
On 42 mins Sam Smart skins the right back down the left, he then passes it inside to Akers who does a sort of back flip with the ball, which has the keeper beaten, but just slides wide of the far post for a goal-kick.

The last few minutes of the half are again pretty scrappy from both sides and the ref blow the halftime whistle with it goal-less.
No changes by Basingstoke at halftime as we attack the tin shed end.

The game kicks off and Hartley have the first attempt on goal on 49 mins as their No.3 takes the ball 25yds into our half then cuts inside and is allowed to let a shot off which is fortunately easily saved by McAdden.

On 50 mins we win our first corner of the second half, and the ball bounces around the box, before Argent shoots wide of the post.
More scrappy play for a few more minutes, until a Hartley attack on 57 mins, produces a shot which is put well wide of the goal.

Sam Argent is replaced by the returning Aaron Redford. A quick conversation with Argent as he walk to the dressing-room confirms he has a groin injury.

Then on 62 mins we break the deadlock, as the ball falls to Smart just inside the box, he takes two touches going past a defender and then unleashes a shot that hits the roof of the net before the keeper can moves. GOAL Hartley Wintney 0 – 1 Basingstoke Town

We are back straight at it again, but a poor cross from Smart is easily cleared.

Then on 66mins, it’s Harry Pearse as he takes the ball 30yds deep into Hartley’s half of the pitch, he shrugs off two tackles and then sends a wham bam thank-you mam type of shot which hits the back of the net. GOALLLL Hartley Wintney 0 – 2 Basingstoke Town
A few more minutes with no attempts by either team, until Hartley have an attack down the right, but the cross is poor and flies over the far post for a goal-kick.

On 78 mins we break over the top, with Smart, but the ref has rightly halted play for a head injury to a Hartley player on the halfway line. After a two minute delay he is replaced.
On 81 mins another ball over the top is met by the run of Akers he is literally 5yds clear of a defender, and has a possible one-on-one with the keeper, but decides to shoot from 28yds and his shot is hit 2yds wide of the post.

On 83 mins, a ball is put into our box and after some scrappy defending, a Hartley shot fortunately puts it 4yds over the cross bar from 8yds out.
On 86 mins we again break with Smart & Pearse, but a shot is well blocked by the keepers legs.
On 89 mins we make our second substitution as Akers is replaced by forward Oilver Harris.
The ref has indicated a minimum of 5 minutes extra-time.
On 91 mins then a shocking pass to Pearse, leaves him in a challenge which Pearse goes down injured. The referee decides to call a halt to play and Pearse receives a minute of treatment.
On 93 mins and Hartley have a final attempt on goal, but again the shot is yet again straight at McAdden.
The final two minutes are played out and the referee blows full-time.
Final Score: Hartley Wintney 0 – 2 Basingstoke Town

Final thought’s – A hard-fought game on a bouncy pitch, that Basingstoke finally put away with quality finishes.
McAdden looked pretty safe all-day and was apart from the free-header in the first half pretty secure.
3 massive points for Basingstoke today and with results going our way, Basingstoke move back upto 17th place.
The re-match Tuesday in the League Cup

Match Report by Martin French..