Match Report: Marlow 5 – 2 Basingstoke Town Saturday 29th October 2022

Isthmian South Central Division – Saturday 29th October 2022
Marlow 5 v 2 Basingstoke Town Attendance 203
Where: Alfred David Ground, Oak Tree Road, Marlow, Bucks, SL7 3ED
Stoke give away two-goal lead as Marlow hit five in the second-half.
Dan Brownlie’s line-up for today: 1. Mark Scott, 2. Ben Mason, 3. James Haworth, 4. Michael Atkinson, 5. Scott Armsworth, 6. Billy Upton, 7. George Reid, 8. Simon Dunn (Capt), 9. Ezio Touray, 10. James Clark, 11. Bradley Wilson
On the bench: D’Andre Brown, Marcio Neves, Stefan Brown, Callum Winchcombe & Nathan Smart
Referee – TBC

The game gets underway with Stoke attacking the open end and the first attack of note was in the sixth minute, when Ezio gets clearly pulled back by his defender in the box, as the ball gets put through to him, but the referee gives nothing.

Marlow have the next few minutes of possession in our half, but create little of note on our goal.
In the 16th minute, there is some good intricate passing play by us on the halfway line which leads to Ben Mason being sent down the right wing, and his cross has to be knocked out for a corner by a Marlow defender. Marlow initially clear the ball, but we are straight back on it and we win another corner. The corner is met by James Clark whose header flies over the bar.

Then in the 23rd minute there are calls for a headbutt by one of the Marlow players. The referee gives a free-kick and books one of their players but that is it.

Marlow have some possession in our half which results in a shot from around ten yards out, but Mark Scott makes a good save.

In the 33rd minute from good work down the right wing, the ball is fed to Ezio inside the penalty area who stops then turns inside and hits a shot that the Marlow keeper palms away for a corner. Again nothing results from the corner.
Another Marlow player goes in the book, after Reid is once again fouled.

Then in the 42nd minute we open the scoring, after Bradley Wilson is sent through, and he slides the ball wide of the keeper, where both he and Ezio are close to the ball, and Ezio slides it home into an empty net from around eight yards out. GOAL ! Marlow 0 – 1 Basingstoke Town (Ezio Touray 42 mins)
Claims for offside are waived away from the referee.

A minute later we attack down the left wing and the ball runs close to the touchline, the Marlow defender is trying to allow the ball to roll out of play, but falls over and Wilson takes the ball away, then sends the ball across the face of the goal, where Reid is first to it and he slams the ball into the net.
GOAL !! Marlow 0 – 2 Basingstoke Town (George Reid 44 mins)

The game gets restarted and a minute later with no additional time added, the referee blows the halftime, whistle and the Stoke players walk with a well-earned two goal lead.

Halftime – Marlow 0 v 2 Basingstoke Town
The second-half gets underway, and Marlow attack, which results in a shot that flies out of the ground.
We win corners in the 50th and 51st minute, but Marlow are able to clear.

Marlow then attack dangerously down the right and a shot flies past the far post and out for a goal-kick.
Note Marlow make another substitution which brings McLeish-White onto the pitch.

Stoke continue to push forward, but then Marlow break from one of our attacks and a shot is initially stopped by Scott, but McLeish-White gets to the rebound and he knocks the ball in the net. Marlow 1 – 2 Basingstoke.
Our two-goal lead has disappeared inside the hour as McLeish-White has scored once again.

We push forward and win a corner, which results in a header from Billy Upton that Marlow’s keeper puts out for another corner. From this corner, the ball rebounds off a Simon Dunn shot up into the air and into the Marlow keepers hands.

We make our first change on 67 mins with Stefan Brown replacing Ezio Touray.
Marlow are now pushing forward and Simon Dunn goes in the book for a challenge.

We then have a dangerous attack, as Reid is put through, but gets taken out by the left-back who goes in the book.
It appears Dunn has picked up a knock, and we make our second change on 72 mins, with him being replaced by D’Andre Brown.

Marlow continue to attack with pace, and then win a free-kick just outside our penalty area. It’s Michael Atkinson who appears to go in the book. The free-kick beats the wall, but is well saved by Scott.
We are now defending ten yards deeper, allowing Marlow to come onto us.

We then have another attack on 80 mins, as Reid is put through inside the box, but rather than going down, he carries on and we win a corner, or we do until the referee gives a goal-kick.

Marlow then take the lead on 82 mins as they break and a shot takes a nasty rebound straight to a Marlow forward who knocks it home from close range.
It’s now all Marlow as we seem unable to clear the ball out of our half.
Marlow then add their fourth as we seem unable to stop anything they do.

Marlow nearly add their fifth on 89 mins, but Scott is out bravely to block a shot out for a corner.
However, Marlow do add their fifth on 94 mins as we seem to give them time and space in our six-yard box.

The referee has had enough and so have the Stoke fans and he blows the final whistle.

Full-time Score:    Marlow  5 v 2  Basingstoke Town
McLeish-White 54 & 59 mins            Touray 42 mins, Reid 44 mins
Ovenden 82 mins
Nawaf 87 & 92 mins

Match Thought’s
Yet once more the worrying sign raises its head again, as we seem unable to beat teams at the top of the table.
Simply could not deal with Marlow’s pace today.
Up Next:
Well we move into the month of November as we host Sutton Common Rovers next Saturday (5th).

Match Report by Martin French..



  1. A few fans either got to Maidenhead then jumped on the replacement bus service, or the eleven that travelled in our group, got taxis from Maidenhead to a pub in Marlow. A touch expensive but using Bolt taxis it is much cheaper than normal taxis.