Match Report: Moneyfields 2-1 Basingstoke Town FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round 17th October 2020

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round 17th October 2020
Moneyfields 2 v 1 Basingstoke Town   Attendance 198
Where: 1 Moneyfield Avenue, Portsmouth. PO3 6LA   

Stoke rue missed first half chances as two second-half goals by Moneyfields knock us out the FA Trophy.  

Manager Dan Brownlie went with the starting line-up of 1. Julian Schwarzer, 2. James Smith, 3. Adam Everiss, 4. Lewis Hayden (Capt), 5. Scott Armsworth, 6. Daryl Wollers 7. George Reid, 8. Ben Cook, 9. Bradley Wilson, 10. Simon Dunn, 11. Dylan Ive

On the bench: Ben Jefford, Lloyd Snell, Harrison Cliff and McCoy Palmer

An extra-large crowd for today’s game gets underway with Stoke attacking the railway line end, and very little action by either side, except the Moneyfields keeper goes in the book presumably for dissent.

An early injury to Simon Dunn forces him to be replaced by Harrison Cliff.

Still very little goalmouth action by either team as we the twenty minute mark.

On 23 mins a nice run by Bradley Wilson with the ball across the penalty area, but decides not to shoot and chooses to pass it inside, but a Moneyfields defender is first on the ball and clears.

Stoke again attack this time through George Reid down the right wing, and he turns one way and then the other and outwits the two Money defenders covering him and sends in a lovely cross, but no Stoke player can get a head to it.

On 25 mins it is Stoke again with a lovely swift attacking move that finds Wilson on the 6yd line who turns and cuts the ball back to Ben Cook almost on the penalty spot with the goal in front of him but his well-hit shot is too close to the keeper who saves, who releases the ball to a defender which starts a Moneyfield attack. This results them hitting the bar from a shot from the right hand edge of the penalty area.

The referee is taking swift action today to any heavy challenge as the second Money player goes in the book (No.6).

Stoke have another attack but the shot from Dylan Ive unfortunately flies over the fence behind the goal and onto the railway track.

On the half-hour Schwarzer makes a timely catch from a dangerous cross.

It is Stoke who break the deadlock when we break and it’s Wilson inside the left-hand side of the penalty area, who slides it across the goal and it’s Cook who is first on it and he pokes the ball home past the keeper and into the net GOAL!  Moneyfield 0–1 Basingstoke Town (34mins)

We then have the next chance just two minutes later as the keeper who recovers an over hit pass, then kicks it out but straight to Reid, who attacks with the ball then finds Wilson who finds Cook, who takes it down to the byline and sends a low cross along the face of the goalmouth but Stoke can’t get a touch on the ball and the Money defender hooks the ball out for a corner.

Another neat passing move from Stoke’s midfield ends when Wilson’s shot is blocked out for another corner.

Then on 40 mins a homeside forward takes the ball past three Stoke defenders, but his shot is comfortably saved by Schwarzer in goal.

The third Moneyfields player, this time number (No.3) goes in the little black book.

Then two more attacks from Stoke before the break. The first a nice pass from Cook to Wilson, but he takes just that split-second too long to shoot, and in the end his shot is blocked away, but then it’s Wilson again who digs out his own chance and sends a thunderbolt of a shot that flies just over the far post.

The halftime whistle goes with Stoke leading by just the one-goal.

The second-half get underway and it’s Stoke with another flowing attacking move, but fail to get a clear shot on goal, and Moneyfields clear.

Stoke have a player (Lewis Hayden), go in the book, and we have the next chance as James Smith has a shot, but their keeper makes a good save down at the near post.

The homeside are coming back into the game and they get the equaliser on 57 mins, as a forward has the time to hit a low-down shot into the far corner of the goal from 8yds out (1-1).

Then Schwarzer makes another world class save from a free header as He gets a hand to it and palms it away.

We are continuing to attack, but cross after cross are either collected by the keeper or headed clear, with no aerial threat from Stoke.

We make two more changes, with McCoy Palmer replacing Dylan Ive and Daryl Wollers being replaced by Ben Jefford.

The game is now end-to-end but we are manging to keep them out.

Another Stoke chance from more good build-up play, but two shots are blocked away.

Then with just over ten minutes left we lose the ball in their half, and they break and a sliding pass is put through to the Money forward who slides it past the oncoming Schwarzer and into the net. Another Stoke player goes in the book?

I’m sure I have missed other booking for both teams!

The remaining minutes see us unable to create anything of note but crosses that have been ineffective all-day.

The referee calls time on the game and our participation in the FA Trophy for this year as we go out by the odd goal.

Final Score: Moneyfields 2 – 1 Basingstoke Town

Match Thought’s   

Today, despite some quality flowing attacks, with no central striker we wasted cross after cross to a big centre-back pairing.

Hopefully George Hallahan will be available for our first home game back in Basingstoke.

Up Next:

Well apart form our league game next Saturday against AFC Totton, in what could be a top of the table clash, we do have a test match against RAF Odiham this coming Tuesday evening. Although no official admission price to get in, we will take a bucket donation at the turnstiles.

Match Report by Martin French..