Stoke slip out quietly from FA Cup after penalty shoot-out disaster

FA Cup Preliminary Round – Monday 14th September 2020
Basingstoke Town 2 v 2 Chichester City
Chichester City win 3 – 1 on Penalties Attendance TBC
Where: Simplyhealth Ground, Winchester.

This rounds penalty shoot-out sees us slip quietly out of the cup after holding a lead against 10-man Chichester.
Manager Dan Brownlie’s starting line-up for this all-important FA Cup encounter was; 1. Julian Schwarzer, 2. Aiden Lewis, 3. James Smith, 4. Lewis Hayden, 5. Scott Armsworth, 6. Daryl Wollers 7. George Reid, 8. Ben Cook, 9. George Hallahan, 10. Bradley Wilson, 11. Harrison Cliff

On the bench: Dylan Ive, Lloyd Snell, McKoy Palmer, D’Andre Brown, Paul Strudley and Shaun Dallimore

On a warm and sunny evening and in front of an expectant extra-large Monday night crowd, we took on an expected tough game against Chichester City.
The game kicked-off with us defending the clubhouse end, and it was clear from the outset that Chichester were a well-drilled, pacy team especially going forward, and we spent the first ten minutes, rebuffing their attacks, including a full-length diving save from a 25yd shot.
Our first real attack, is when George Reid goes on mazy run from the halfway line, that ends up with the shot being blocked to Ben Cook whose shot is then saved by the keeper.

Another Stoke attack again is well defended by the visitors.
More attacks by Chichester, are dealt with by our improved back four look.

The controversy for once favours us, as a crossfield pass which flicks of a defenders head, finds Bradley Wilson just inside the left hand side of the penalty area, he takes two touches then cuts inside and plants a shot that the keeper has no chance with. However, the referee has noticed the linesman’s flag up and goes to consult with him. Now the referee had waved the play to continue and stands by his decision and awards the goal. GOAL! Basingstoke Town 1 – 0 Chichester City.

The visitors are not happy, but the game gets back underway, and we press again, but their keeper makes a good save.
The game is still being played at ninety miles an hour, and then following another Stoke attack, we are awarded a penalty for deliberate handball by a Chichester player, who pushes Ben Cook’s shot over the bar. The Chichester defender is sent off, and George Hallahan steps up and slot the ball away to double our lead. GOAL! Basingstoke Town 2 – 0 Chichester City.

If anything this seems to push Chichester forward and they have a good chance which again Schwarzer saves.

Another Reid run and shot is blocked by the 10-men, and then just before halftime, the visitors grab a goal back, and we go into the break with a slender 2-1 lead, but still playing against ten-men.

The second-half with us attacking the clubhouse end, and within five minutes two chances go begging, as the visitors are unable to clear their lines. A header from Hallahan falls a foot over the bar, with the keeper beaten, then a neat move that allows Wilson to shoot well, but the keeper pushes away for a corner.
Chichester are from finished and it’s end-to-end football, as Julian comes to our rescue with a good block and then another save. We then create a golden opportunity as Wilson breaks down the left and sends over a cross that just needs a touch from a Stoke player.

Just past the hour, George Hallahan who has taken some heavy knocks, is replaced by new-signing Dylan Ive.
Within minutes a golden chance to double our lead goes to waste, as Ive breaks the offside trap and has a one-on-one with the keeper, but his shot his pushed away by the keeper. The crowd know that was our chance.

Well as expected we can’t seem to hold on to our lead, as Chichester come forward again, and they equalise on 69 minutes.
This seems to get us going again, and we attack down both wings through Reid and Wilson, but nothing of any note on goal.

Lloyd Snell is our second substitution, who replaces James Smith.
Good defensive work by both Armsworth and then Wollers hold back the visitors, but it’s Stoke on the front-foot mainly.

The final five minutes of normal time and the elongated injury-time, seem to see us do anything but score.
This includes a flicked save by the keeper, that should have had a corner awarded but wasn’t, and a blocked shot from 4 yds out.

It’s full-time and we move into another penalty-shoot out.

Chichester are up first and Schwarzer saves.

Bradley Wilson then has his shot saved.

Chichester take the lead 0-1

Scott Armsworth then has his penalty saved.

Chichester score again 0-2

Aiden Lewis blasts the high and wide.

Chichester give us a glimmer of hope as their shot hits the bar and flies over.

George Reid slots our first one away 1-2

Chichester score their third and go through 1-3 on penalties, and our hopes of a proper FA Cup run go on the back burner for yet another season.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 2 v 2 Chichester City

Chichester win 3 – 1 on Penalties

Up Next:

The league season gets underway with us on the road at Slimbridge, another ground and small village in the middle of nowhere. Last season we lost 2-0