FA Cup Success For Stoke as we win 5-4 on Penalties

FA Cup Extra-Preliminary Round – Tuesday 1st September 2020

Basingstoke Town 1 v 1 Bournemouth Fc (Poppies)  

Basingstoke Town win 5 – 4 on Penalties     Attendance TBC

Where: Scours Lane, Reading. RG30 6BX

The first competitive game of the new season sees Stoke go through in the FA Cup, with a five-four penalty shoot-out, as unlikely hero Adam Everiss, starts and finishes the Stoke scoring.

Manager Dan Brownlie’s starting line-up for this all-important FA Cup encounter went with a starting line-up of; 1. Julian Schwarzer, 2. Aiden Lewis, 3. Adam Everiss, 4. Lewis Hayden, 5. Scott Armsworth, 6.Daryl Wollers 7. Simon Dunn, 8. Ben Cook, 9. George Hallahan, 10. McKoy Palmer, 11. Bradley Wilson

On the bench: Harrison Cliff, D’Andre Brown, Lloyd Snell, Paul Strudley, James Smith, George Reid and Shaun Dallimore

Just five players retained their place in the starting line-up of our last match back in March, as the game got underway at Scours Lane.

It was the home side that took the early initiative, and a shot by George Hallahan, skimmed the outside of the near post and then a cross by Hallahan was met by Bradley Wilson and the keeper at the same time, with the keeper able to cover the ball.

Still very little from the visitors and on the half-hour, it was again Hallahan who forced the keeper into a fine save, with the ball being pushed back into the path of captain Simon Dunn, whose shot  thwarted by resilient Bournemouth defence.

More slick passing by the new-look Stoke side, still seemed unable to find that clear-cut chance on goal, as Bournemouth’s sometimes rugged defence kept Stoke at bay.

Then the chance for the breakthrough, as the referee awards Stoke a penalty for a foul in the penalty area. Unfortunately, Hallahan’s penalty shot however, hits the top of the crossbar and goes out for a goal-kick.

The Basingstoke faithful, sense a sign of Deja vu from previous seasons FA Cup mishaps.

It is still Basingstoke on the attack, forcing back-to-back corners prior to the halftime whistle, with the game goal-less.

The second-half kicks off with no changes by Basingstoke, and it’s winger Bradley Wilson who looks to put his stamp on the game, as move after move down the left, allows him to cross the ball time after time, but Bournemouth’s defence is holding fast.

Then ten minutes into the half, Simon Dunn fell to the ground injured, following a tackle and is unable to continue and is replaced by Harrison Cliff. This seems to give the opposition some impetus, as on a rare break they take the lead just minutes later.

It is still Stoke who are the attacking force, but cross after cross from both wings, are repelled or our shots fly wide of the goal .

It’s time for Basingstoke to make their second change, as Aiden Lewis, is replaced by James Smith.

The game now running close to the final ten minutes of normal time, has Bournemouth thinking they can hold us, especially as a break has a one-on-one with the keeper who is able to block the shot away. This allows us to break from this and then a pass across from the right to the left allows Adam Everiss to run onto the ball and from all of 30yds hit a wonder shot that takes a slight touch of the outstretched dive of the keeper and the post and into the net. GOAL! Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Bournemouth FC.

It takes a split second for the crowd to actually understand it’s a goal, before they burst into roars of delight around the ground.

The game entering the final few minutes, has one or two time-wasting tactics and heavy tackles by the visitors in an effort to secure a penalty shoot-out, and although the referee allows five minutes of added time, the final whistle brings the game to a final 1-1 scoreline, and penalties!

The penalty shoot-out sees Bournemouth up first and they score, each of the first four times, whilst in order Ben Cook, Brad Wilson, Daryl Wollers and George Hallahan make it 4-4. The fifth and final Bournemouth penalty is saved by Julian Schwarzer, which allows Adam Everiss to step up and calmly slot the ball away and send us into the next round on the back of a 5-4 penalty win.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 1 v 1 Bournemouth FC

Basingstoke Town win 5 – 4 on Penalties      



Up Next:

We have a week off, before our next friendly on Tuesday 8th, as we visit our rivals Farnborough in a 7.45pm Kick-off.

Our next competitive game is on Saturday 12th September as we host Chichester City in the FA Cup Preliminary round, more details to follow in the next few days.

Match Report by Martin French..