Match Report: Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Uxbridge Tuesday 9th November 2021

Isthmian South Central Division – 9th November 2021
Basingstoke Town 1 v 1 Uxbridge Attendance 422
Where: Where: Winklebury Complex, Winklebury Way, Basingstoke. RG23 Stoke drop two points after conceding late, late equaliser

Dan Brownlie’s starting line-up for this important match-up against 2nd placed Uxbridge was: 1. Paul Strudley, 2. Aiden Lewis, 3. James Haworth, 4. D’Andre Brown, 5. Nathan Smart, 6. Daryl Wollers, 7. Bradley Wilson, 8. Lloyd Snell, 9. Stefan Brown, 10. Conor Lynch, 11. Simon Dunn (Capt)
On the bench: Daniel Williamson, Ben Cook, McKoy Palmer, George Reid & Joel Halliday

Referee – S Hawkes

This Tuesday game under the lights, got underway with Stoke attacking the car park end and in the first minute the visitors broke down the left through their No.11 whose shot come cross was easily caught by Paul Strudley in goal.
The next five minutes saw very some neat passing movements by both sides in the middle of the park, but both defences were able to stop any attempts on goal.

Then on 10 mins we break down the left through James Haworth who sends a dangerous cross past the face of the goal, with no Stoke player unable to get a touch on the ball.

Uxbridge then break and their No.9 is put through but he is unable to chip the keeper.

Then on 13 mins from an Uxbridge attack and a neat pass sends Conor Lynch away down the right and just as he is gets to the penalty area, he drives the ball the low, but the keeper is able to block and gather the ball.

Uxbridge then have the next chance of note on but a shot from 25 yds goes wide of the far post.
On 22 mins we are forced to make our first change of the day, as Haworth is injured and replaced by Daniel Williamson.

The visitors on 26 mins then have the next chance, as they break down our left and their forward cuts inside and shoots towards the far post, is pushed away by Strudley in goal for a corner. We are able to clear comfortably.

We then have the next chance, as Lloyd Snell breaks down the right and his well-hit shot is pushed out for a corner. We win the header from the corner, but it flies over the bar.
Then on the half-hour they win a free-kick after forward Anthony Mendy is brought down just outside the box. The kick however flies past the Stoke wall and comfortably wide of the far post.
We then create the next chance as a cross from Williamson is met by a Stoke header, but flies straight at the keeper from 8yds out.

Uxbridge are having the better possession and create the next chance on 37 minutes as their forward is put through on the right-hand side of the penalty area, but his shot is kicked clear by Strudley in goal.

Stoke then have the chance to take the lead, as good play by Stoke switch the play from the right down the left sending Bradley Wilson away who slides the ball across the goal, where Simon Dunn sweeps a shot from inside the penalty area over the bar.
It’s Stoke with the next attack on 43 mins, through Bradley Wilson who races down the left, he stops and beats a defender then cuts inside but then seems to hit a side foot shot that is cleared a couple of yards off the line.

Despite some good passing and chances for both sides, the game remains goalless as the referee blows the halftime whistle.

Halftime Basingstoke Town 0 – 0 Uxbridge

The second-half gets back underway with no changes by either side, and the first attack of note is 52 mins, as we break down the right through Dunn and Stefan Brown in a neat one-two move that sends the ball over the far post, where Aiden Lewis gets to the ball but this shot is blocked away for a corner.

It is Stoke who seem to have come out the stronger in the second-half, and a mess up by the keeper who tries to clear from outside his box, gives the ball straight t D’Andre whose shot from 35 yds flies wide of the far post, as the keeper races back towards his goal.
Another Stoke attack down the right with Lynch and Williamson, allows Lynch to find Stefan Brown, but his shot is blocked away.
Stoke then make their second substitution of the evening on 57 mins, as Lloyd Snell is replaced by George Reid.

The visitors have the next chance but their forward loses control of the ball as he enters the penalty area, then falls down and his claims for a penalty are waived away by the referee.

On 62 mins, Reid breaks down the right he finds Stefan who slides the ball back to Reid, but his shot flies just wide of the far post.
It is Stoke again with the next attack, but Wilson’s cross from the left wing is knocked out for a corner. Nothing comes from the corner.

Uxbridge have the next attack down the right, but as they break inside the penalty area, Wollers makes a good tackle and puts it out for a corner. Stoke head clear from the corner.

Then on 70 mins we break towards the penalty area through Dunn who is scythed down by the Uxbridge No.4. The game is stopped for what seems 3 mins, whilst Dunn receives treatment, but as he hobbles off, the referee shows the Uxbridge a straight red card. Before the free-kick is taken, Dunn is replaced by Ben Cook. The free-kick when it is finally taken beats their wall, but the keeper is able to get a hand on it and pushes it away at the the foot of the far post, but a defender beats Lynch to the rebound and puts it out for a corner. The short corner, is pushed back to Reid whose cross is headed clear, we then attack again down the left and the ball flies past the face of the goal, which we are able to retrieve out on the right and the cross back into the penalty area is met by Ben Cook who beats his defender to the ball and powerfully heads the ball past the keeper into the net. GOAL ! Basingstoke 1-0 Uxbridge (Cook 75 mins).

It is Stoke still on the attack over the next minutes and despite good play by Williamson, Reid & D’Andre we are unable to find the space for a shot and Uxbridge clear.
It is the Reid and Williamson on 82 mins, who generate the next chance sending Williamson inside the penalty are on the right-hand side, and his shot from 10yds beats the keeper but hits the post and flies out for a goal-kick.

The game drifts towards the final couple of minutes, with Stoke still pressing, but we seem unable to hold onto the ball in their half. It is clear that the referee will play a large amount of injury-time.

Then on 88 mins the visitors break down the right, but their shot, is blocked away.
The game gets stopped again as the linesman draws the attention of the referee who spends another minute talking to both managers.

We then receive our first booking of the game on 94 mins as D’Andre Brown goes in the book for a tackle on the halfway line.

Nothing comes from the attack and we clear downfield, but again we are unable to hold the ball for any amount of time and Uxbridge clear upfield.

Then on 96 mins they break down the left, and the ball is sent across to the right-hand side of the penalty area, where an Uxbridge forward slides it back inside to their no.16 (Ndukuba), who slots the ball home to level the score (1-1).
The game is restarted and the referee blows the final whistle 30 seconds later on a disappointing finish.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Uxbridge
Cook 75 mins                                       Ndukuba 96 mins

Match Thought’s
A much more entertaining match tonight than Saturday’s game at Bracknell, against an Uxbridge side who are the best team I’ve seen so far this season, but despite taking the lead and having a man advantage, we allow a late goal by Uxbridge to share the points.
Up Next:
We have our second of three consecutive home matches we host Tooting & Mitcham Utd on Saturday 13th November 3pm KO.

Match Report by Martin French..