Match Report: Basingstoke Town 2-1 Chipstead Saturday 2nd October 2021

Isthmian South Central Division – 2nd October 2021
Basingstoke Town 2 v 1 Chipstead (Nickname – Chips) Attendance 313
Where: Winklebury Complex, Winklebury Way, Basingstoke. RG23 8BF
Ten-man Stoke win behind Connor Lynch double beat Chipstead

Dan Brownlie’s made a number of changes today: 1. Paul Strudley, 2. Aiden Lewis, 3. James Haworth, 4. D’Andre Brown, 5. Daryl Wollers 6. Shaun Dallimore, 7. Bradley Wilson, 8. Ben Cook (Capt) 9. Mckoy Palmer, 10. Conor Lynch, 11. Simon Dunn (Capt)
On the bench: Daniel Williamson, Llyod Snell, Anton Rodgers, Joe Western & Joel Halliday
Referee – Robert Finn

With the rain set for the afternoon, Stoke attacked the car park end in the first half, but it was the visitors who have the attack in the 2nd minute but Aiden Lewis makes a timely tackle and clears the ball.
We have our first attack on 4 mins but the Chipstead defence deals with the cross.

We then break down the right and McKoy Palmer cuts inside and slides the ball to Conor Lynch who takes the ball past his defender and then rounds the keeper and then slots the ball home into the net GOAL ! Basingstoke 1 – 0 Chipstead (Lynch 6 mins)
Very little action for the next few minutes until Conor Lynch is put through down the right but as he enters the penalty area he slide the ball inside to Palmer, but his touch is blocked out for a corner. The corner is comfortably cleared by the Chips.

Our next attack is on 16 mins and Bradley Wilson just inside the penalty area neatly back heels the ball to Conor Lynch, who takes one touch and hits a right-foot shot, that is blocked away by the defender to Simon Dunn who passes back to Lynch who hits a volley high over the crossbar for a goal-kick.

The visitors have the next chance on 20 mins, but the cross is blocked away by Aiden Lewis for a corner down the left. We head the ball clear and we break down the left, the cross is met by Bradley Wilson whose side-footed shot is somehow hit wide of the far post.

We then attack again through Palmer down the left and he cuts inside and slides the ball to Lynch near the penalty spot and he turns away from the defender and hits the ball straight at the keeper who makes a fine save and Chipstead clear the ball.
Then on 24 mins Chipstead win a free-kick and after the referee sorts out some pushing by both players, The kick is taken but we head the ball clear.
Then on 27 mins the visitors break again and they break our offside trap and the Chipstead forward rounds our keeper takes it to the by-line, steadies himself, then finds their No.9 Tom Collins who slots it home from 2yds out and they draw level 1-1.

Will the missed chances come back and haunt us, and the visitors are next on the attack on the half-hour, but their No.7 squanders the chance, as his shot is hits the ball wide from 8yds out.
The rain comes down heavy again and one or two passes go astray by both teams over the next few minutes.
Then on 37 mins we break down the left through James Haworth who sends a deep cross to the far post, where the ball is met by Lynch, who heads over the bar.

Chipstead have the next attack and a shot from the edge of the box by their No.10 Kieran Lavery, although hit well is comfortably saved by a diving Paul Strudley at the near post.

We then have the next attack and good work by Palmer down the left as he goes past two players as he cuts inside but then decides to slide the ball out to the left, where the Stoke player was not expecting it and the ball runs away for a goal-kick.
The referee looks to make his first booking but after pointing out how many fouls the Chipstead player has made, he fails to pull out his card and lets him off.

The referee then decides to have a word with the Stoke Manager, and another free-kick to the visitors brings some more pushing and shoving by both sets of players. The free-kick however is wasted as a Chipstead player is flagged for offside.

The game moves into the last couple of minutes of the half, and then another Chipstead attack break and Dallimore makes a tackle on the forward just outside the box, but the referee who is 8yds away never gives anything but the linesman has flagged for a foul, and the referee produces a red card for Shaun Dallimore who walks off. The free-kick by Collins beats the wall but Strudley makes an easy save.
The referee then blows the whistle for halftime, with Stoke down to ten-men.

Halftime Basingstoke Town 1 – 1 Chipstead
The game gets back underway with Basingstoke having made a needed change at halftime, as Daniel Williamson replaces McKoy Palmer, and the first chance goes to Chipstead as they break and a cross finds a Chipstead who pulls his shot wide of the far post.

We then attack on 50 mins, but Wilson takes one too many touches as he enters the penalty area and his shot is blocked away for a corner. The corner is kicked clear to the halfway line.
We are then back on it as a ball is pushed down the right wing and Conor Lynch beats the keeper to the ball and chips the ball from an acute angle 30 yds out and the ball flies into the net. GOAL !! Basingstoke 2 – 1 Chipstead (Lynch 53 mins).

The next few minutes neither team creates a chance and the referee again threatens to book a Chipstead player but keeps his cards in his pocket.
The rain comes down even heavier for the next few minutes as Chipstead push forward but good work by Haworth and then D’Andre Brown deal with both attacks.

We then make our second change of the day on 64 mins as new signing Anton Rodgers replaces Bradley Wilson.
The visitors have the next attack and force a corner down the right. The click is initially cleared but back to a Chipstead player who slides the ball to their No.3 whose right-foot shot flies high and wide of the goal, over the fence and into the trees.

The visitors with the player advantage continue to push for the equaliser and Strudley makes two good saves over the next two minutes, as Chipstead force back-to-back corners.
The finally has his book out and books the Chipstead No.6.

We then attack down the right from the kick, but Williamson and Dunn following good work, can’t find the right pass, and Chipstead are able to clear.
The next few minutes we hold them in midfield and the only thing of note is the referee books their No.4.

We move into the final ten minutes of the match, and Conor Lynch chases down a clearance down the left, but gets shoved in the back but the referee gives a throw-in to the Chips.

We make our third change on 82 mins as Lloyd Snell replaces Ben Cook, who has picked up an injury.
On 85 mins Chipstead attack again but a free-header fortunately is headed wide of the goal.
On 87 mins the third Chipstead player goes in the book.
The visitors continue to attack and another cross and header forces another fine save by Strudley in goal.

We move into injury-time and the home crowd are calling for the referee to blow the whistle, but we play-on, but again we clear the ball to the halfway line.
The referee has finally had enough and calls time on the game and the three points come to Stoke.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 2 – 1 Chipstead
Lynch 6 & 53 mins, Collins 27 mins
Match Thought’s
A resilient ten-man second-half defensive performance and another two stunning finishes by Conor Lynch, prove to be enough for Basingstoke to hold on for a hard-fought three points.
Up Next:
We travel to Melksham Town next Saturday for the FA Trophy 2nd Rnd Qualifying match with a 3.00pm kick-off.

Match Report by Martin French..