Match Report: Basingstoke Town 3 – 3 Tiverton Town Saturday 6th April 2019

Evo Stick South Premier Division South 6th April 2019
Basingstoke Town 3 – 3 Tiverton Town Attendance 402
Where: The Camrose Stadium, Western Way, Basingstoke. RG22 6EZ

If last weeks was we came, we saw, we plundered, today’s would have been we came, we played, we messed it up.
Two changes from last weeks line-up at Wimborne were Tom McGill being rested for Chris Rackley and Sam Argent starting up front for Ben Wright. The full line-up 1.Chris Rackley, 2. Dean Stow 3. Adam Everiss, 4.Michael Atkinson 5.Jack Wakely 6. Dan Bayliss, 7. Sam Smart, 8. Harry Pearse, 17. Ben Wright, 10. Sam Deadfield (Capt), 11. Yvan Jourdan

On the bench; 12. Orvis 14. Kennedy 15 Hunt 16.De’Andre Brown 17. Wright

On a grey cloudy day, Basingstoke attacked the Town End in the first half , and the first attack of note was not until the 7th minute when we build through the middle and although not slick passing, Everiss receives the ball down the left and he sends in a hard curling cross that is met first by a Tiverton centre-back, who puts it out for a corner. Tiverton are able to clear from the corner.

On 9 mins we win a throw-in down the right. Everiss with the long throw, is however, headed clear to Deadfield about 30 yards out and he hits it on the volley with his right foot, but although hit well, it flies 5yds over the bar and hits the top of the stand, behind the goal.

Just a minute later, there is a penalty shout for Stoke, as we attack again down the middle, Deadfield slides the ball through to Argent in the box, but the ball is a touch too hard for him and the keeper is out to recover the ball, however the visiting left back has continued his run and clearly clips Argent who goes over. Both the referee and linesman wave away the penalty call.

On 12 minutes, we build again through Atkinson who makes two timely interceptions in a minute, and we break down the right, but Smarts cross is well blocked.

On 17 mins and the game is held up for about 3 mins, as first the Tiverton keeper goes down injured and then their number 8 has also decided to receive treatment on the pitch. The keeper is up and is ok, but it appears their outfield player has picked up an injury and will be replaced.

The game gets back underway and Stoke and then just two minutes later we take the lead as Smart picks up a bouncing pass about 35-40 yds out and just turn and hits on the volley. It takes the keeper totally by a surprise and although not hit well a, the keeper dives across the goal, the ball bounces off the pitch and past him into the corner of the net GOAL Basingstoke Town 1 – 0 Tiverton Town.

The next attack of note, is on 28 mins as we break down the right, somehow their left back can’t cut out the pass and it sends Smart away, who as he cuts inside the box, slides the ball back to where Argent slides to make connection to the ball and although he turns the ball towards the goal, the keeper is able to make the save.

Then on 32 & 33 mins, Tiverton have their first real attacks of note as a free-kick hit deep into our penalty box is met by a Bayliss head that clears that danger. However a further attack down our left and the ball is put across to the far post where it is knocked back into the box where a Tiverton forward heads the ball, but Rackley makes a fine leaping save to put the ball out for a corner. Nothing occurs from the corner.

On 38 mins we have another attack and Smart again cuts inside the box down the right but his shot takes a slight deflection and is held by the keeper.
On 40 mins the visitors get the ball in the net, but the ref gives a free-kick for a push on the keeper. However, the ref could have given free-kicks for two other clear pushes in the back in the build-up.

As the game draws close to halftime, we double our lead as we break over the halfway line and Harry Pearse receives the ball 45yds out, he then attacks with pace down the middle and it’s like the parting of the Red Sea as the Tiverton defence allow him to run 20yds untouched and from around 24yds he sends a cracker of a shot and its past the diving keeper into the bottom left-hand corner of the goal GOAL!! Basingstoke Town 2 – 0 Tiverton Town.
The referee blows the halftime whistle 5 seconds after the restart and Stoke head down the tunnel with the job half done or so we think.

No changes for Stoke at the break as the game gets underway with us attacking the Clubhouse end and the only point to note is Stow has been booked, not sure for what.

We create two attacks down the right, but both crosses are easily dealt with by the Tiverton defence.

It’s now Pearse’s turn to go in the book for a late tackle.

On 56 mins we win a corner following good work from Smart down the left and as he cuts along the by-line a defender blocks the ball out. The corner is half-cleared to Deadfield whose shot is wide of the near post.

On 58 mins, Tiverton have an attack, but it’s well defended by Wakely and then cleared by Atkinson, where we attack with pace, but the ball just unluckily clips the heel of a defender and the break falls away.

On 60 mins we create the next chance and inside the box, Pearse and Deadfield combine to give Argent the ball, who turns and shoots and it has the keeper beaten but slide just wide of the post.

On 63 mins things take a turn for the worse, as Landricombe is allowed to break down the right and then sends in a cross that is put in at the far post and our lead is cut in half.

Less than a minute later from the restart we however we double our lead again as the ball is clipped over the from the left where Deadfield races through and with eh keeper in two minds whether to come out, Sam hits a volley with his right volley into the roof of the net from 8yds out. GOAL!!! Basingstoke Town 3 – 1 Tiverton Town.

On 67 mins Tiverton break and a last ditch tackle keeps our two-goal lead.

It’s now attacks at both ends, as Smart has a shot, which is blocked and the follow-up falls to Argent who can’t put it away.

Then on 69 mins, we are worryingly giving Levi Landricombe too much space, as they create another chance which is hit wide.
Then on 71 mins we attack again and Smart gets fouled in the box but carries on and then fails to win the corner.
From the goal-kick the ball is fed downfield they put the ball across the goalmouth and yet another free-header and we now lead just 3-2.

The Tiverton comeback is then made complete a minute late as the ball bounces around our box like a pinball machine. Bayliss fails to clear, two other defenders also fail to get the ball clear and then from a cross back into the goal Rackley’s punch is weak and the ball is again pushed back into the goalmouth and is put away. 3-3
The end-to-end attacking has stopped for a few minutes, but on 82 minutes across to the far post is met well by Wakely, but his header just goes wide.

We then make our first substitution on 86 mins as Harry Pearse is replaced by Charlie Kennedy.
Another corner to Tiverton is met by Rackley who punches clear.

Then on 88 mins we are inches away from taking the lead close as we break down the right, the ball is pushed across to Argent who hits it and smashes against the bar and bounces away.
Then on 90 mins Tiverton break down our left and a cross come shot flies over Rackley’s head and hit the far post and bounces back out and we are able to hack it clear.

The ref plays three minutes of action, before he blows the final whistle.

Final Score: Basingstoke Town 3 – 3 Tiverton Town
From a comfortable position we seemed to allow their best player Levi Landricombe far too space in the second half and he created havoc creating two of their three goals.

That was two points dropped, not one point picked up as far as many fans will feel today.
A win today, would have gone a long way in securing our safety, but a disappointing draw, with other results going against us, as Gosport go and win at Salisbury.
This result now puts more pressure on our team to produce on the road next week at Poole.
Match Report by Martin French..