Match Report: Fareham Town 0 v 7 Basingstoke Town Qtr Final Hants Snr Cup Tuesday 15th January 2019

Qtr Final of Hampshire Senior Cup Tuesday 15th January 2019

Fareham Town 0 – 7 Basingstoke Town Attendance 74

With Sam Argent, Charlie Kennedy & Harry Pearse missing through injury, plus Dan Collier out through illness, Martin Kuhl had a chance of playing a few of the squad players for this Cup game at Fareham Town. His line-up was; In goal Tom McGill, the back four of Jim Orvis, Shane Hollamby, Dan Baylis & Rob Gerrard. The midfield contained Dean Stow, Drew Matthews, Sam Deadfield, Liam Hunt. Upfront Ben Wright & Sam Smart

On the bench; Akers, Shean, Harris & Redford

The Cam Alders Stadium pitch looked wet, muddy and very bumpy, as Basingstoke attacked the hedge end of the ground.

After 3 mins Gerrard gets pulled down as he slips Deadfield through into the box. The ref stops the play for a free-kick 22yds out. Stow’s free-kick flies over the wall and is heading for a goal, until the young Fareham dives full-length and pushes the ball away for a corner, or so what we think, but the ball lands on a bump on the dead-ball line and bounces back into the field of play, however the ref has given the corner. The corner is allowed to bounce and Bayliss is able to get a shot away, but it’s straight at the keeper.

On 5 minutes, Basingstoke take the lead with a strange goal, as the ball is crossed over from the right, the ball is half cleared, but the ball then looks to drop into the far post, but the defender somehow hooks it out, but straight to Ben Wright who lets it bounce before slotting it home from 2yds out. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 1 Basingstoke Town.

Stoke are back on it straight away and a shot from Deadfield from 25yds, slides past the far post.

Then we miss another chance as Smart races down the right, but as he enters the penalty area, he does not cut inside as he could but takes it down to the dead-ball line then cuts it back to Wright, whose shot is saved by the keeper.

Then on 9 minutes, after further good work this time by Orvis, the ball is slipped to Wright who clips the ball over across to Deadfield, who allows the ball to drop and smashes the ball home from 10yds out. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 2 Basingstoke Town.

It could and should be three as further attacks for Deadfield and Wright, are both saved by the keeper.

On 15 minutes, Orvis sends a lovely deep cross over from the right, Smart is able to keep the ball and passes to Gerrard, who then gives it back to Smart and from the corner of the penalty box, sends a lovely shot over the keeper dives full-length again and punches the ball away, but we are on it back again a minute later as Deadfield finds Wright, who takes two touches the clips a soft curling shot, then hits the outside of the far post and out for a goal-kick.

More chances, this time for Gerrard, who from a cross, flicks the ball wide of the post from 3yds out.

After a couple of quiet minutes, the ball is slipped inside to Wright who takes two chance then smashes a shot 2yds wide of the near post.

Gerrard then has a shot from 25yds out, but it’s straight at the keeper.

Then on 29 minutes Gerrard who has been down injured is replaced by new-boy 17-year old Alex Shean. Gerrard confirms he has an achilles injury as he walks round the pitch.

The next few minutes very little happens by either team.

Then on 31 mins Fareham have their first chance as a ball over the top finds a Fareham forward but as he looks to shoot he slips over and Bayliss is able to clear.

On 35 minutes and what a lovely move as Wright on the edge of the box initially loses control of the ball, but regains it then does a back flick with the ball to Deadfield who slides it to Smart who then flicks the ball to Wright, who has to run 10yds around the outside of the play and collects the ball then takes a shot, which the keeper saves with his foot and it bounces away to Orvis, who smashes it 20yds over the top.

Fareham continue to try and play it out from the back, and it nearly costs them another goal.

Shean is playing down the right and gets dragged down for a free-kick. The cross by Stow, flies across the goalmouth, but no Stoke player can get a touch on it.

The last few minutes are played out quietly and somehow Stoke are only ahead by two goals, as the ref blows the half-time whistle.

No changes at half-time as we get the game back underway.

Stoke are back on it and on 47 mins and it should be three, as Smart break down the right sends a lovely cross over to the far post where Orvis 7yds out has a free-header, but decides to head it back out to I believe Bayliss, who takes a touch then hits a shot that slides just past the far post.

However, Fareham are not out of this and they break down our right, a good-passing move, allows a Fareham forward to break clear and have a one-on-one with the keeper, his shot is well-saved by the foot of McGill and we are able to clear, only for Fareham to regain the ball and a shot from 28yds is easily saved by McGill.

On 50 mins we have two further attempts on goal, the keeper saves both attempts.

On 52 mins and Fareham win back-to-back corners. The first corner is met by Hollamby who heads it back out of play. The second corner is caught by McGill.

It’s 54 mins and we have our third goal, as Shean makes a nice run down the right, he feeds the ball to Wright just inside the box who feigns to go left, but then turns right and hits one past the keeper and into the far corner of the net. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 3 Basingstoke Town

On 55 mins the public announcer has the fans in laughter, as he announces that our No.5 Dan Bayliss is being replaced, but in fact it’s Fareham’s No.5 who is going off.

The next ten minutes there is no attacks of note, as the misty rain comes down for the first time tonight.

Then on 65 mins we make our 2nd substitution as Ben Wright is replaced by Zidan Akers.

Then a disastrous touch by the Fareham No.2, as he lets the ball slip under his foot, to an unexpecting Smart, who takes it forward and then slides it past the keeper. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 4 Basingstoke Town

On 71 mins, Shean takes the ball down the wing but his cross is just too far from a diving Sam Smart at the far post.

We make our 3rd change as it indeed is Dan Bayliss being replaced for Aiden Harris.

It’s five as we break again, we have a 3-1 on as Deadfield slots the ball to Akers, who side-foots it past the keeper into the net. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 5 Basingstoke Town

On 76 mins Akers breaks down the left, he takes the ball inside the box, but a tackle puts the ball out for a corner. The corner is wasted.

On 79 mins we score again, as Shean down the right pulls it back into the goalmouth, the first attempt by Orvis is cleared away but straight to Stow, who volleys it back to the goal and the keeper can only get a hand on it, but can’t prevent it from it hitting the back of the net. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 6 Basingstoke Town

On 83 mins we win another corner down the left. From the Deadfield corner, Akers is up and flicks it with his head, but it’s cleared away.

On 85 mins we break down the right with Akers who races 20yds with the ball into the box. Smart is waiting for it at the far post, but Akers takes it to close to the keeper and his attempted cross goes straight to the keeper. Akers apologises to Smarty.

On 88 mins we make it SEVEN, as Akers has a speculative shot from 25yds out, the keeper dives to his right but pushes it straight to the oncoming Smart, who taps it away with his left foot. GOAL Fareham Town 0 – 7 Basingstoke Town

The last couple of minutes are played and the referee blows the final whistle.

Final Score: Fareham Town 0 v 7 Basingstoke Town

Final thought’s – Somehow we were only two-nil up at half-time as we missed a few chances.

Ben Wright had his best game of the season and was unlucky not to get a hat-trick.

Solid at the back, and think they dealt with Fareham’s forwards well for most of the game.

Akers, looked lively when he came on and breaks his run of not scoring.

17-year old Alex Shean looked good in his first appearance for the team and showed some good touches.

We await the semi-final draw to see who we will face?

We return to the league on Saturday as we travel into Wales to take on Merthyr Town.

Match Report by Martin French..



  1. Good match report again and seems like we should have had more than 7 goals. Think Saturday’s game at Merthyr will be a tough one.