Match Report: Hanwell Town 1 v 1 Basingstoke Town Saturday 11th December 2021

Isthmian South Central Division – 11th December 2021
Hanwell Town 1 – 1 Basingstoke Town Attendance 217
Where: Powerday Stadium, Perivale Lane, Greenford, Middlesex. UB6 8TL
A battling Stoke performance earns them a point on the road at Hanwell.
An attacking line-up with two strikers in a starting line-up of 1. Paul Strudley, 2. Daniel Williamson, 3. James Haworth, 4. Robert Sheridan, 5. Nathan Smart, 6. Anton Rodgers, 7. D’Andre Brown, 8. Ben Cook, 9. Stefan Brown, 10 Conor Lynch, 11. Simon Dunn (Capt),
On the bench: Jack French, Lloyd Snell, McKoy Palmer, George Reid & Jon Boardman
Referee – Stephen Parkinson

The game got underway on a mild but grey day with Stoke kicking-off attacking the car-park end, and there was little action of note in the first few minutes.
On five minutes, it is the homeside who create the first attack and chance, as a cross is half hooked clear, but straight back to another Hanwell player who sends in another cross that is knocked out for a corner on the right. The kick from the corner is headed towards goal where Paul Strudley is down to save.

Stoke come into the game on six minutes, as work through Dan Williamson and D’Andre Brown sends D’Andre down to the by-line, whose cross is cleared by a Hanwell player, with no Stoke player in the six-yard box, but we retrieve the ball again, and set-up another attack down the right, this time, the cross from Conor Lynch is headed clear to Ben Cook, who looks to hit a volley, but takes a touch and then hits a shot that flies comfortably over the bar.
Little action for a few minutes, as both teams defences are shutting down any possession of note, although Stoke look to be the more adventurous.

Then on 18 minutes we take the lead, with a lovely passing move and finish, as Anton Rodgers clips the ball from the outside of his foot to D’Andre, who takes it 20yds down the right wing, and sends another cross which finds Stefan Brown, who nods it down to Cook, who smashes a half-volley from10yds out into the roof of the net. GOAL ! Hanwell Town 0 – 1 Basingstoke Town (Cook 18 mins)

On 22 mins Hanwell have a chance to level, but a shot from 15yds is blocked back to a Hanwell forward whose shot from 8yds is deflected out for a corner. Strudley makes another save from a clip from a Hanwell player from the corner-kick.

Stoke continue to be the team pushing forward and create the next chance as good work in the middle of the pitch by Simon Dunn sends Conor Lynch away, who takes the ball into the penalty area cuts inside on his left foot, but is shot is not hit clean, and the keeper is able to palm it way, and a Hanwell defender hooks it clear.

Our lead is gone, as on 35 mins a long ball from the left hand side finds the Hanwell number No.9 in acres of space, and he takes the ball and his time and finishes past Strudley (1-1).

Williamson and D’Andre create another move of note on 38mins that is hacked out for a corner. The corner is headed clear with no challenge.
On 41 minutes we have the ball in the back of the net as a neat pass sends D’Andre through and although he neatly finishes past the keeper, the linesman has his flag up for offside.
The referee wants his cup of tea as he plays no injury-time and blows the halftime whistle

Halftime – Hanwell Town 1 – 1 Basingstoke Town
No changes for Stoke as the game gets back underway. It’s Stoke who have the first chance on 47 minutes as we win a free-kick 35yds out down on the left. The low cross takes, an initial touch but is begging for another touch as it flies past the goalmouth and two yards wide of the far post.
Hanwell force two corners over the next few minutes, but we clear comfortably.

On 53 mins another neat move down the left, and it’s Conor who cuts inside and hits a shot from 35yds that forces the keeper to make a save.
Hanwell then have the ball in the net, but this is flagged for offside.

Stoke attack again, as a good passing move finds Cook, who hits a shot from 20yds that the keeper is just able to push away, where Stefan retrieves the ball and sends it back across the face of the goal, to Conor who shoot but it rolls inches wide of the goal.
On 57 mins, a nasty challenge on Simon Dunn goes unpunished as from a challenge he gets elbowed in the face.
We then attack again down the left as Stefan is sent away, but his cross is blocked out for a corner. Nothing comes from the corner.

Hanwell then miss a chance as they break and a cross finds a Hanwell player who hits it 10yds over the bar from 10yds out.
A nasty challenge on Conor Lynch on the Hanwell by-line has the Hanwell defender’s name going in the book. Rodgers kick is palmed away by the keeper.

On 65 mins we make our first change as McKoy Palmer replaces Anton Rodgers.
Palmer is on it straight away, as he breaks down the left, cuts inside, then slides it to Simon Dunn, who sends a curling chip, come shot that has the keeper beaten, but narrowly misses the far post.
Stoke continue to press and make their second change on 72 mins as Lloyd Snell replaces Conor Lynch.

Hanwell then miss another chance, as a cross bounces around our six-yard area, and we block one shot which falls to another Hanwell player who drags his shot wide of the left-hand post.

Then a lovely move again with Cook finding Palmer who finds Lloyd Snell on the edge of the penalty area, who takes the ball past one defender, then a second, feints to shoot, but takes it past a third defender but runs out of space as the keeper comes out, as the ball rolls out for a goal kick.
On 81 mins we make our third change as Stefan Brown is replaced by George Reid.

Hanwell are looking for the winner, but a good defensive tackle by Williamson, stops the attack and also wins the throw-in.
There is very little action of note over the last few minutes of normal time, as we head into injury-time.
The referee calls time on the game and Stoke head home with a well deserved point.

Final Score: Hanwell Town 1 v 1 Basingstoke Town
Obi 35 mins                                   Cook 18 mins

Match Thought’s
A tough battling performance, with both sides having chances to win the game, on what appeared a heavy pitch. Good performances from D’Andre Brown and Dan Williamson, were only overshadowed by Ben Cook’s exquisite finish being the highlight of the game, as we stay second in the table.

Up Next:
We have a ling break now with no game until our bank Holiday home match against Thatcham Town on the 27th December.