Match Report: Basingstoke Town 1 – 2 Poole Town

vo-Stick Premier League Division South – Saturday 18th August 2018

Basingstoke Town 1 – 2 Poole Town    Attendance 395

Well for those who were present, sometimes you just have to rub eyes and think you were dreaming of today’s event on the pitch.

But first the line-up. In goal McAdden, at the back Stow, Hollamby, Bayliss & Bennett. In midfield was Collier, the returning Kennedy (Capt), Deadfield & Akers. Up top was Smart & Argent.

On the bench; Philby, Orvis, McKnight, Bunting & Wright.

Referee was Tristan Greaves, with assistants Harrison Blair & Andy Connor.

The game kicked off with very little action by either team in the first few minutes and it’s Poole Town who have the first attack on goal, but the shot hits the side-netting. This is then followed up by a Poole Town free-kick 30yds out, but this is hit so poorly it flies over the back of the Town End stand.

Basingstoke are back on the front foot, but can’t seem to be able to break down Poole’s defence. 

Then disaster almost strikes as McAdden misplays the ball and is caught by the Poole forward, but is able to recover his error by diving on the ball.

Stoke then create their first real chance as a superb one-two passing movement between Zidan & Deadfield creates a chance for Collier, but he maybe takes half a second too long to take his shot and his shot is hit straight at the keeper.
Stoke then on 30 mins create a further good chance as a lovely through ball puts Smart away, but he’s unable to round the keeper who makes a fine save at Sam’s feet.

Then an aerial incident between a Stow and a Poole forward, brings a halt to the game as the Poole forward takes a serious knock to the head. The game is delayed for around 12 minutes before the player unfortunately has to be stretchered off. From the resulting free-kick Stoke initially clear but the returning cross beats everyone and goes out for a goal-kick.

Then after another Stoke attack, Poole Town break and they win another free-kick just outside our box. This free-kick is flown in and McAdden is unable to claim the cross and at the far post a free-header puts Poole Town one-up.
Complaints of same old story are being re-stated again.
The halftime whistle goes and Stoke go in after a pretty dismal performance.
Point of note, the Poole player has been taken to hospital by ambulance for precautionary reasons.

The second-half kicks off with no Stoke changes, but we seem a bit more lively as Smart is put down the wing, however his cross cannot beat the first defender who clears into the stand.

Then controversy strikes on 48 mins, as the ball is fed to Argent, just inside the box, he is able to turn and then smashes a left foot shot into the far corner of the net. Whilst the BTG celebrate and the ball is about to be kicked off for the re-start, the ref blows a halt to the game. After mass confusion the referee Mr Greaves has disallowed the goal and given us a free-kick on the halfway line. Despite protests from many Stoke players and at least one of our player’s going in the book for arguing this outrageous decision, Basingstoke  remains goal-less.
The crowd are not happy with this and further protests result in a further confusion, as a booking for Kennedy who is then shown a red card presumably for a second yellow card. The ref then understands that he has not booked Charlie before and rescinds the red card. There is a lot of tension by the dugouts and the linesman is getting naturally getting a lot of stick for his poor decision, in flagging to cancel out our goal.

After what seems an age Stoke are back at it and create a further half-chance but the shot goes wide. Zidan and Smart are both attacking their backs, but just can’t get the ball to a Stoke forward.

Then further disaster strikes, on 67 mins a through ball to a Poole player who is clearly offside, is allowed to continue by the same linesman and although McAdden makes an initial save, the ball bounces kindly back to the Poole forward who slides it over the goal-line. Stoke are now 2 down.

A minute later somehow a Poole forward is put clean through without a Stoke defender within 15yds of him, but his shot is dragged wide.

Bunting comes on for Collier on 69 mins.

if anything this spurs Basingstoke back into attack, but despite all the pressure are really unable to create a clear chance on goal.

Then on 79 mins we are awarded another penalty as Smart is apparently knocked down in the box. The ref now trying to save face give the Poole defender Will Spetch a 2nd yellow card and they are down to ten men. This time it’s Dean Stow stepping up to take the penalty and he has no problem in putting it in the bottom left-hand corner of the net. 

On 81 mins Stow is then replaced by Ben Wright. We are now full-out attacking. Argent is fed the ball, but his shot flies 5yds over the bar. Wright then has a tame shot straight at the keeper from around 35yds out.

Then two minutes into 4 minutes of injury-time Dan Bayliss clips a lovely cross to the far post, but no-one can get that final touch on the ball and it flies out for a goal-kick. Despite an embarrassing effort of wasting time by a Poole forward being substituted, where his number is shown and he falls to the ground feigning injury and then takes 45 seconds to walk across the pitch, the ref adds no extra time for that.

That’s it the ref has blown the final whistle and our chances for a point and the game ends;
Basingstoke Town 1 – 2 Poole Town

There is no need to further comment on the incidents today as I’m sure other have posted about it.

Up next a trip to Somerset to take on Frome Town next Saturday.

Match Report by Martin French..